From coast to coast, many of Canada's public buildings are adorned with these artistic creations. This coin offers a reproduction of one of the breathtaking stained glass windows that can be found at Craigdarroch Castle in Victoria, B.C.
• Craigdarroch Castle has one of the most extensive residential collection of Victorian stained glass windows in North America!
• The stately home, which continues to undergo restoration, still has 32 of its original 47 stained glass windows in place.
• Most of these stained glass windows are floral themed, and were assembled using a mix of rippled, flat, clear and multicoloured glass.
Commissioned in 1887 by coal tycoon Robert Dunsmuir, Craigdarroch Castle was designed to be a grand home for one of Western Canada's wealthiest families at that time. No expense seemed to be spared, from the elaborate Victorian furnishings to the woodwork and the numerous stained glass windows.
Today, visitors to the now-historic site can view 32 of the original 47 stained glass windows – one of which has been reproduced on this beautiful enameled silver coin. Translucent enamel has been painstakingly applied by hand to the flowers and leaves; the brilliant colours and attention to detail will leave collectors feeling like they are holding their very own stained glass masterpiece in their hands!
With their ability to transform a single sunbeam into an array of dazzling colours, stained glass windows have captivated architects and artists alike.
- Mintage 7500
- Composition fine silver (99.99% pure)
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 31.39
- Diameter (mm) 38
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 20 dollars
- Artist Replica of the Stained Glass at Craigdarroch Castle (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)